GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Some Things I Did Not Know About My Grandfather Albertson


That is I didn't know these until I read them in the old local newspaper of Goodland Kansas.

Before he was married to my grandmother--
1898 Sept: Ora Albertson (my grandfather) along with his brother Artie (Arthur) used their saddle horses to help a neighbor pull his wagon after his horses had run away. It's good to know an ancestor was helpful.

1900 Apr: He got a new bicycle when he was almost 18 years old. I wonder how many others in the area had bikes.

1902 Mar: He bought a horse from the section foreman. Maybe he got tired of riding his bicycle.
1903 Oct: He returned to Kansas after a visit to his brother Arthur in Oregon. Then he started to work in the railroad shops at Goodland. I hadn't really understood that he had been to Oregon before the family came in 1911.

1901-3: He received bounty payments from the county three different times for coyote scalps at $1.00 each.

After he was married in April 1906
1906 Oct: He and his wife purchased a strip of land for $37.00, then sold it for $50.00. It looks like he made a profit of $13.00.

1906 Oct: He received bounty payment from the county for coyote scalps for $10.00. As a married man he needed to make a little more money.

1906 Oct: He was an employee in the shops, [probably railroad] and was recovering from an attack of typhoid fever. I'm so glad he was recovering.

Again I'll state that I truly enjoy reading in old newspapers and founding out those "little" things about my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment