GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Saturday, March 18, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - March 18th - John Bond 1797 - 1866


March 18th is another day when two ancestors had birthdays, so I am choosing to do the oldest one today and tomorrow I will do the second one.

There is quite a bit of information about John and his family on my genealogy website.
From the main page the menu item for maps shows the general locations of the family Donation Land Claims. The menu item for charts includes a listing of two generations of his descendants.

But as also seems to happen, when I review the information posted there, I discover that I need to add more. For instance, his father's recorded will from 1850 has been digitized and placed online and John is named in that. It makes me wonder if John used some of the proceeds from that inheritance to help pay for their trip to Oregon in 1853.

Another item I haven't entered into the database is the listing from the Umatilla Agency in northeastern Oregon in 1853 of the travelers on the Oregon Trail. Among those listed on August 28 was Bond, J. , w. This would be John and his wife Sarah (Chastain) Bond.

I think it is fun to know that my 3rd great-grandfather came to Oregon so I have 5 generations of ancestors who lived here, making me a 6th generation Oregonian.


No comments:

Post a Comment