GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Thursday, March 9, 2017

Sarah Was Named in Stephen's Will


Yesterday, March 8th, I wrote about Sarah Champion, my 7th great-grandmother. She had married Stephen Scoville in 1705 and apparently they were happily married until Stephen died in 1752. They had ten children and nine of them lived to be married, so Sarah would have been a grandmother a number of times. There are over 40 named in the Scovell genealogy.

I was pleased to see how Stephen included Sarah in his will of 1752. Quoting from it as published in the Scovell genealogy. "Unto my Beloved wife Sarah Schoval I do give and bequeath the use of my House and Lands and Tenements During her Remaining my widow......to be understood that she keep sundry moveables as she shall judge needful for Her to keeping House so long as she lives." I checked the dictionary for the word moveables and found it is just as it says, capable of being moved, but often used for wares, especially furniture.

The genealogy also gave a transcription from the inventory of Stephen's estate. I really enjoyed reading the furniture and housekeeping utensils included. Wouldn't they be what
Sarah had been using? Here are a few of what was listed: 
Great chair, 2 small chairs, 1 brass kettle, 1 pewter quart, 
2 pint basons, 1 pewter platter, 5 pewter spoons, 1 wine
 glass, 1 earthen platter, 4 wooden dishes, 6 wooden plates, 1 iron skillet, 5 pairs of knitting needles, 1 churn, 1 iron pot and hooks, frying pan, 2 sheets and a tablecloth, 1 linen sheet, 1 flannel blanket, 6 coverlets.

It is fun to think that Sarah shared a craft with me, as we both have knitted.



No comments:

Post a Comment