GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Monday, March 6, 2017

Some Things I Did Not Know About My Mother


That is I didn't know these until I read them in the old local newspapers.

Before she was married to my father--
1928 May: Wilma Falk (my mother) belonged to a 4-H cooking club in Harrisburg. Maybe that is the reason she encouraged me to join a 4-H sewing club.

1929 Jun: She participated in a Harrisburg newspaper subscription contest and won 4th prize, a white sapphire set bracelet. It sounds like even 4th prize was profitable.

1932 Apr: She attended a surprise birthday party for her friend Alice Curtis. Among the other guests were her sisters, Lois Falk and Erma Falk, and my father, Lester Albertson. I'm glad she was able to attend parties with her friends.

1932 Apr: She and my father acted in a one-act play for the Christian Endeavor fund raiser. It was The family Flivver, she played Maw and he played Paw. I had not thought of her as an actress.

After she was married to my father--
1933 Dec: They won a prize at a church gathering for being the couple attending who had been married the shortest time. This was just a month after they were married.

1936 Feb: She and my father, along with other young people from Halsey and Brownsville, attended a chicken house party at Union Point. I have no idea exactly what a chicken house party was.

I truly enjoy reading in old newspapers and founding out those "little" things about my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment