GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Friday, March 31, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - March 31st - Elizabeth Moores 1734 - 1817


On February 3rd I wrote about Reuben FitzRandolph, who was the husband of Elizabeth Moores. They are my 5th great-grandparents. Neither of them have much information on their person pages on my website.

Looking further at Elizabeth I can see things that made me happy and sad about her. I was happy when a fellow researcher provided me with copies from the family history, Ancestors and Descendants of Lewis Ross Freeman with related families by Patty Barthell Myers. I was glad because it included Elizabeth with 3 generations of her Moores ancestors.

But I was sad when I read about her life. At first it wasn't sad. Elizabeth was born 31 Mar 1734 to John and Mary (Brittain) Moores in Woodbridge, New Jersey. On her 20th birthday in 1754 she married Reuben FitzRandolph. Here is a timeline for about the next 15 years for her children.
  • 1754 John is born
  • 1757 Frances is born
  • 1758 Martha is born
  • 1760 Frances died
  • 1761 Mary is born
  • 1763 Mary died
  • 1764 Reuben is born
  • 1765 John died
  • 1766 Elizabeth is born
  • 1767 Elizabeth died
So in that length of time, six children had been born and four died, so Elizabeth had only two surviving children.

It was probably after the beginning of the Revolutionary War that her one surviving daughter Martha, my 4th great-grandmother, married Elias Marsh around 1777. I have not found any more information about her son Reuben, other than he was apparently still alive when his father died in 1784. Elizabeth, Martha and Reuben shared the inheritance. I have not seen any record that Elizabeth remarried.

The family history states that Elizabeth died 17 Mar 1817 at New Garden, Ohio. This was just 2 weeks short of her 83rd birthday. She probably was with her daughter and family who had moved to Ohio in 1806 and eventually were members of the Quaker New Garden Monthly Meeting in Columbiana County, Ohio. So maybe the latter years of Elizabeth's life were not so unhappy.

No comments:

Post a Comment