GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - Sarah Champion - 8 March 1687/88


Sarah Champion was a 7th great-grandmother of mine. She was born in March of 1687/88. I have found her in two older genealogies: the Champion genealogy first published in 1891 and the Scovell genealogy first published in 1941. They both give her birthdate as March 8th. However the Barbour collection of Connecticut vital records shows her birthdate as March 3rd. They all agree that she was born in Lyme Connecticut to Thomas and Hannah (Brockway) Champion.

I was hoping that the Champion genealogy, which I was able to download from archives.org, would give me more information about Sarah than just her parents, date of birth and who she married. Wrong. Most of the female descendants in this book only have those facts. So I looked elsewhere.

Sarah married Stephen Scoville 4 Nov 1705, probably in East Haddam, Connecticut, since that is where their children were born. It was in the Scovell genealogy where I found a little more about Sarah. In discussing the church membership for Stephen, the authors note that "Mrs. Sarah Scoville was admitted to full communion in the First Church of East Haddam Dec. 19, 1731". It was about 1742 when there was a church at Hadlyme and she became a member of it.

Sarah was named as Stephen's wife in his will and I plan to write more about that tomorrow. Again with women in these very early days, I have not yet found death information for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment