GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Sunday, June 18, 2017

Fathers Day and Fishing


When I remember my father, Lester O. Albertson, I can remember him going fishing. Apparently his father, O. J. Albertson, also liked to go fishing and this photo shows both of them with their fish.  This was probably in the 1940s.



Back in 2013 I wrote some of my childhood memories, using the alphabet for topics. One of the topics for F was fishing. Here I will quote a portion of what I wrote then.

I mostly associate fishing with my Dad. He really liked to fish. During the winter when he did not have farm work to be done in the fields he went about twice a week to the Alsea River, about 40 miles away, to fish for steelhead. Usually he went with someone else, so they could visit and tell stories while waiting for the fish to bite. They had a certain place they usually went where the man who lived there let them use his boat to cross the river and fish from the other side. When their fishing was done, they would bring it back across. I think that usually Daddy would take his own outboard motor to use so they didn't have to row. I liked it when he caught a steelhead, because they were very good to eat. Over the years I ate quite a lot of fish.

In the summer during our annual trip to the coast at Newport my Dad would drive up to Depoe Bay and take one of the charter deep-sea fishing trips in the ocean for salmon. It was very exciting when he would catch one.

During the spring my Dad would go with one or more of his friends and "run the river." They would usually take my Dad's boat with his outboard motor and fish on the Willamette River. Often they would start at Harrisburg and finish at Peoria. One of the wives would drive them to Harrisburg where they could launch the boat and then later in the day meet them at Peoria where they could take the boat back out of the water and load it on the trailer and take it home. They were fishing for trout in the river and usually caught at least one.



No comments:

Post a Comment