GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Friday, October 27, 2017

Who Were John Howard Bond's 1st Cousins?


Why should I care who they were? Because all of his 1st cousins were my relatives also. From my research I found 49 1st cousins on his father's side and 44 on his mother's side. There were 5 who were double cousins that showed on each side so the total number of 1st cousins was 88.

First cousins share grandparents. John Howard Bond was my gt-grandfather, so his grandparents were my 3rd gt-grandparents. The gt-grandchildren of any of John's 1st cousins are my 4th cousins, since we would share 3rd gt-grandparents.

On Ancestry DNA there are over 1000 matches to me that Ancestry has classified as 4th cousins. These designations certainly aren't precise, but it gives a range. So it is likely that some of John's 1st cousins are ancestors of a portion of these matches.

Ancestry DNA has a feature called DNA Circles. There is a DNA Circle for John Howard's grandfather, John Bond, which includes me. Because the circles require the members to have a tree on Ancestry's site I can see who they are descended from. Among the 17 members of the Circle, 10 are descendants of John Howard's 1st cousins. There are 5 different cousins represented: Sarah (Tong) Wise, Martha (Davis) Gustin, Albert Daniel Davis, James Nelson Davis, and Martha (Davis) Alkire. So my plan is to write about these 5 cousins over the next week or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment