GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Friday, October 6, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - Oct 5 - William Milligan 1787 - 1845


My father, Lester Albertson, shared a birthday with his 2nd gt-grandfather, William Milligan, just 120 years apart. My father had his birthday post on the 5th and my 3rd gt-grandfather, William had to wait until today, October 6th.

I believe that William was born in Virginia 5 Oct 1787. A family history of the Gordon Family mentions him because 2 of his daughters married Gordon brothers. William married Nancy Patton 2 Oct 1812 in Rockbridge County Virginia. They were married by Daniel Blain, a Presbyterian minister.

They moved to Adams County, Ohio and lived in Wayne Township. He was probably the William Milligan listed in Wayne Township in 1823 and 1831 on the "male enumeration lists."

William and Nancy had 8 children. According to the Gordon book, they all had middle names. The children were Elizabeth Hawkins (my 2nd gt-grandmother), John Patton, James Campbell, Martha Barton, Rachel Amanda, Mary Jane, Phebe Elmira and William Steele.

The Gordon book lists his death date as 1849. However Adams County has an inventory of the estate of a William Milligan who died in 1845. I believe this was probably my William, although there were other William Milligans living in Adams County, with at least 2 still alive by 1847 in other townships. One item in the estate sale papers from 1845 state that 1 mans saddle went to Wm. S. Milligan "under the will." Most of the wills from Adams County were destroyed by a courthouse fire in the early 1900's, but since William and Nancy's youngest son was William Steele Milligan this helps my belief that my 3rd gt-grandfather was the William who died in 1845.


No comments:

Post a Comment