GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Ancestor Unbirthday - Abt 1815 - Ludwig Falk

 -
Yesterday I posted about my German gt-grandmother and today is her husband, Ludwig Falk, my German gt-grandfather. Most of what I wrote about her after their marriage would apply to him also. So what do I want to write today?

When was Ludwig born? I am not sure about the date which has been published in some of the on-line family trees, 5 Jul 1815. It could be correct, but I haven't seen the original source to be able to evaluate it. Where was he born? There are some entries in the on-line trees, but they don't seem reasonable to me.

I believe that Ludwig was married for the first time 2 Apr 1839 at the evangelical church at Grabau, Kries Wirsitz, Posen Province, Prussia (now a part of Poland.) Grabau was located about 30 kilometers west of Nakel where he married Anna Louise. His first wife was Marianna Kuss, the widow of Stephen Vinski. Their first child, Rosalie, was baptized at Grabau in 1840. I haven't yet found the record for August, said to be born in 1842. Wilhelmine was born in 1845 at Bielawer Kolonia and baptized at Nakel. Henriette was born in 1849 at the same location and both she and her mother died soon after that because Ludwig remarried in 1850.

When Ludwig was married at Nakel, his place of residence was again listed as Bielawer Kolonia. His occupation was kolonist. Wikipedia defines that as Colonist, person who migrates to a colony , a settlement in another country, militaryly managed by his homeland. I believe this means that Ludwig or his family were Germans who moved to Poland when it was partitioned to Prussia. A recent map of the area shows the village of Bielawy located about 3 kilometers west of Naklo nad Notecia (the Polish name for Nakel).

Research in a different country is difficult, so I am glad that Ludwig and his family immigrated to the United States in 1858, and it was there my grandfather was born in 1880.

2 comments:

  1. This was interesting Joanne. It would be fun to visit that area of Poland and see what else could be discovered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been able to find anything out about Ludwig's parents?

    ReplyDelete