GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - January 25th - Joseph L. Shipman 1807-1893


Today I am writing about my 3rd great-grandfather, Joseph Lester Shipman, in relation to my 2017 genealogy goals (as posted on 2 Jan 2017).

Review. In checking him on my website, I found it told of his birth on 25 Jan 1807 in Old Lyme, New London County, Connecticut, the son of Elisha and Catherine Shipman. There was his marriage to Mary Carey (or McCreary) on 16 Feb 1837 in Ashtabula County, Ohio. The information from the 1850 census was there as well as his death on 30 Sep 1893 in Tuscola County, Michigan with burial in Moreland Cemetery. Only my 2nd great-grandfather, Joshua Rodney Shipman, was shown as his child. I believe this information was basically correct, but so much was lacking. There were more censuses to be entered. I remembered that his first wife had died and he had a second wife and a number of other children.

Organize. I had collected a fair amount of information on the Shipman family, particularly with help from other researchers. But, it was pretty much all in one big pile. So I divided most of it into four sections: (1) Joseph Lester, (2) his son Joshua Rodney, (3) Joseph's father Elisha and (4) Joseph's grandfather Abner, with the other children of each in their section. This led me to do more research on the family.

Write. Well, since you are reading this, I have done that.

Enter. This is the step that still has much to be done. I have found the census entries for Joseph in Ohio in 1860 and in Michigan in 1870 and 1880. There is his 2nd marriage to Huldah Jane (with a very difficult to read surname on the marriage record) and 8 more children.

Digitize. So far I have saved digital copies of his two marriage records from the Ashtabula County marriage books as found on familysearch.org. Again much more needs to be done on this goal also.

But that's what goals are for, to help us see what needs to be done and give us the incentive to do it.




Posted 25 Jan 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment