GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - January 10th - Margaret Thornburg 1767-1843


Margaret was my 4th great-grandmother. She was the daughter of Quakers Joseph Thornburg and Ann Armfield. The spelling of her surname seemed to depend on who was recording it. The clerks at some of the Quaker monthly meetings in North Carolina in the late 1700s used various spellings:
  • Cane Creek: Thornburg, Thornbrugh, Thornborough
  • Center: Thornbrough, Thornberry
  • New Garden: Thornbrug, Thornbrugh, Thornburgh, Thornbrough, Thornburg, Thornbury
Her father's will was recorded in 1800 in Guilford County, North Carolina with the name Thornburg, so this is the spelling I use in my compiled records.

Many researchers have stated that her ancestry can be traced many generations back to noble lines in England. It may be true, but I don't have any proficiency in that type of research, so won't speculate.

I do know that Margaret was one of my "moving ancestors." She was born in 10 Jan 1767 in Guilford County, North Carolina; moved to Highland County, Ohio with her husband Stephen Hoggatt/Hockett and family in 1805; then they moved to Hancock County, Indiana in 1817; and finally with most of their married children moved to Henry County, Iowa in the 1830s. It was there that Margaret died in 1843, after her husband of 53 years had died in 1839.

Margaret is one of my DNA circles on Ancestry DNA. As of today, 10 Jan 2017, my DNA matches 21 individuals whose paper trail would include Margaret as an ancestor. I am amused that Ancestry gives a brief summary of her life with the DNA Circle and they state that she had 12 sons and 8 daughters. She did have a large family, but my research shows she had 6 sons and 5 daughters for a total of 11. They all lived to marry and she had at least 100 grandchildren. So using conservative sizes for families we could estimate there would be thousands of descendants alive today, so naturally some of them have tested their DNA.


See Margaret on my website:http://www.joanneskelton.com/p18.htm#i434

No comments:

Post a Comment