GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Friday, August 11, 2017

Time -- Sometimes it just takes time for results to happen

I provided a DNA kit from FTDNA for my friend who was an adoptee. She took the test a little over 2 years ago. Her nearest matches were in the 3rd to 4th cousin level and it was hard to find where any connection might be.

I also tried to do genealogical research for her with the limited information that we had, a copy of the original birth certificate. We thought we had found the birth father's family and had quite a lot of information gathered. We had a probable half-sister test her DNA a year ago and there was no match. Apparently a false name for the father was given on the certificate.

We were also doing research about the birth mother and had a good idea about her parents and grandparents. But we had not found any living relatives, that is, until yesterday. I read my e-mail that had come in the past few days and found a notice from FTDNA that my friend had a new match at Family Finder. So I looked at it and it was a match of 2nd cousin level. I did a Google search for that surname and found some individuals, living in the Marquette Michigan area. That was where we believed my friend's birth mother had been born. Then I got another e-mail from the match herself, wanting to try to make the connection since it was her highest match. It was also my friend's highest match, so with her permission I wrote back to the new match with a summary of what we had gathered about that family. It was wonderful this morning to receive the e-mail from the new match. Yes, they are 2nd cousins and the new match has pictures and information to share.

So, after 2 years from the time she tested, my friend does have a living biological 2nd cousin. It was good to have time to do genealogical research so we could supply the needed information to show the connection.

DNA testing can give us bad news and good news. We were sad when the supposed half-sister did not match. But now a 2nd cousin has been found.



No comments:

Post a Comment