GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Back to School - Who Was In Gt-grandmother Rosa's Class?


I enjoyed looking at this picture from my father's collection. Gt-grandmother Rosa (Shipman) Smalley was the teacher and I recognized my grandmother, Lucie Smalley, as one of the students. However, someone, I don't remember who, provided names for all those in this photo.

back row: Jay Shipman, Ralph Smalley, Edd Wilson, Rosa Smalley, Ellery Wilson, May Wilson, Cecile Sigman
middle row: Bill Kipps, Arthur Sigman, Frank Sigman, Lucie Smalley, Mart Shipman, Bessie Kipps
front row: Celia Smalley, Clayton Shipman, Gertie Kipps, Lillie Wilson, Lake Smalley



I don't know the date this photo was taken, but can give a guess by knowing when each of the Smalley children was born: Ralph - 1884, Lucie - 1886, Lake - 1890, Celia - 1892. From yesterday's post we know Rosa had a certificate to teach at least from 1894 to 1899. If Celia started school at 6, it would be 1898. But since her mother was the teacher, maybe they let her start at age 5 which would date the photo as 1897. So I think probably 1897 or 1898 is the correct date.

No comments:

Post a Comment