GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Would They Be Triple Cousins?


One of my older cousins who I liked and respected for her historical writing was Margaret (Standish) Carey, who lived in the Halsey, Oregon area. She shared with me a manuscript of Hayes family history, which included me. Margaret's 2nd great-grandparents were Seth Hayes and Lydia Jewett, who were my 3rd great-grandparents. Her great-grandfather was their son Seth Whipple Hayes, the brother to my 2nd great-grandmother Huldah (Hayes) Bond, so Margaret and I were 3rd cousins once removed and her children would be my 4th cousins.

Now Margaret was married to Robert Carey, whose 2nd great-grandparents were Ludwig Falk and Anna Louisa Boehm, who were my great-grandparents. His great-grandfather, Charles L. Falk, was an older brother of my grandfather, Julius A. Falk. So Bob was my 2nd cousin once removed and that would make his children my 2nd cousins twice removed. Since her children and his children are the same people they are my double cousins.

But recently I was reviewing my Hayes information and was reminded that Margaret's great-grandfather, Seth Whipple Hayes, was married to Polly Bond Stillwell. Polly was a 1st cousin to Solomon Bond, the husband of Huldah Hayes. Margaret's 3rd great-grandparents were an earlier Solomon Bond and his wife Anna Allen, and they were my 4th great-grandparents, so from this family Margaret is my 4th cousin once removed. This makes her children my 5th cousins.

Bob and Margaret's children are at the same time:
my 2nd cousins twice removed from the Falk line;
my 4th cousins from the Hayes line; and
my 5th cousins from the Bond line.

Does this make them triple cousins?




No comments:

Post a Comment