GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - February 21st - Lydia Jewett 1793-1864



I find it interesting that my 3rd great-grandmother, Lydia (Jewett) Hayes lived nearly at the same time as my 4th great-grandmother, Nancy (Patton) Milligan who I wrote about a few days ago. This means we can't always predict how many generations will be within a certain number of years.

Lydia has also been very interesting to me because of where she lived. She was born in New Hampshire to Joseph and Huldah (Fenton) Jewett, married Seth Hayes in Ohio, moved to Indiana, then Iowa, and crossed the plains to Oregon where she died. Within her 71 years she traveled from coast to coast without the benefit of airplanes, trains or automobiles.

In 2015 I used an airplane to get to the East Coast and then traveled by motorcoach for a tour of New England. The tour materials told me that we would visit New Hampshire, but they didn't let me know that we would drive through the "town" of Lisbon. I was really excited to see the type of geography where my ancestor had been born. I wrote in my trip journal, "in a valley, harvested fields, ponds and marshy areas."


posted 21 Feb 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment