GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

My Grandmother Albertson Belonged to the Potter Sewing Club


In checking the newspapers for Albany and Corvallis, Oregon, I found several items telling about meetings of the Potter Sewing Club in the Peoria area.

A March 1926 Albany paper told that my father's two sisters helped in serving a "dainty lunch."  In November that same year, my grandmother Mrs. Orin [sic] Albertson was the hostess for the afternoon and again my aunts assisted in serving.

The meeting held in March of 1931 was reported in the Corvallis newspaper and Mrs. O. J. Albertson won first place in a memory contest. In March of 1933 Mrs. O. J. Albertson was one of the hostesses and my mother, then Miss Wilma Falk, was one of the invited guests. Wilma won one of the prizes.

It was in October of 1933 that the club held a Halloween party. Mrs. O. J. Albertson was one of those who told ghost stories and she also won one of the first prizes in the "clever contests." Mrs. O. J. Albertson was one of the joint hostesses in June of 1934. Among the invited guests was my mother, now Mrs. Lester Albertson. The Corvallis newspaper reported: "A lovely lunch closed the afternoon."


If only reading the newspaper accounts, the club did more eating and playing games than sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment