GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Sunday, August 28, 2022

Identity – Childhood Memories Alphabet – X, Y & Z


X is for Xylophone

    X is another one of those hard to use letters. But xylophone does fit. I can remember that we had a little toy xylophone. I don't know if it was originally mine or my brother's, but we both would try playing it from time to time. It came with some instructions with music for simple songs. Since I was taking piano lessons I could read simple music. One time at a school assembly someone came who played the marimba, which is similar to a xylophone. I really enjoyed the music they played and wished I could play like that. However I had to be content with learning to play the piano.


Y is for Yellow Jacket

    Yellow jackets are not a favorite memory. Yellow jackets can sting and that hurts. I remember seeing honey bees and wasps and maybe even a few hornets. But the insects that caused me the most problem were yellow jackets. They liked to come to picnics, especially for hamburgers or fruit pie. If you went into the orchard area in the fall, when some of the fruit had fallen, you would see yellow jackets. Now I guess that I really didn't get stung too many times, since I was so wary of them. But I can remember a few times when my arm or leg or wherever would swell up, get red and hurt for a few days.


Z is for Zipper

    When I think of zippers in my childhood it was related to the sewing I was doing for my 4H project. When I made a dress for myself, it had a zipper on the side, since the waistline was fairly fitted. Because of the waistline the zipper was not exactly a straight line. Even with a straight line, I found zippers to be hard to sew, since they have bumps. My Mom had a "zipper foot" for her sewing machine, so that made it a little easier. Because my Mom wanted my sewing to be right, if my seams were crooked, I had to take them out and redo them. My memory may be clouded, but it seems like I was never able to get a zipper right the first time. So to me, zipper equals frustration.


No comments:

Post a Comment