GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Saturday, August 20, 2022

Identity – Childhood Memories Alphabet – M

M is for Mop

    I'm afraid that I didn't use a mop for its intended purpose very often. But I did take an old mop and used it like a doll. Since it was a string mop, if you turned it upside down it had hair. So then I had a friend I could talk to. Since we lived out in the country, in the summer there were no friends of my age around. Sometimes my brother who was three years younger just wasn't enough. I seemed to have a number of imaginary friends and a mop just made it more real.


M is for Mountains

    I grew up living in the Willamette Valley. Since a valley is by definition between a range of hills or mountains, mountains were always there on both sides, although some miles away. To the East were the Cascade Mountains. Although this range of mountains includes at least five peaks with an elevation of over 10,000 feet, I was able to see only one of these from our area, Mount Jefferson. The weather had to be good and I had to be in just the right position to see the tip top of this mountain.

   When I looked to the West I saw the Coast Range and its highest point, Marys Peak, at almost 4,100 feet. When we would turn off Highway 99E and head down the last two miles to our house, Marys Peak would be there almost like it was guiding the way. During the winter there would usually be some snow, like a cap on the top. And of course, many times fog or clouds would hide the top from our sight. I can remember that we took some trips up to the top of Marys Peak and if you used the field glasses you could almost see our house, or at least the area where it was.

    Two mountains that I remember that I only saw a few times were Mt. Bailey and Mt. Thielsen which are on the opposite sides of Diamond Lake. When we went fishing there and were sitting in the boat, it was so fun to look up to those mountains. They seemed so different: one was pillow like shaped and the other with a jagged top.

No comments:

Post a Comment