GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Identity – Childhood Memories Alphabet – R

R is for Radio

    When I was a child, our family did not have a television. But we did have a radio and we did listen to it. Sometimes the reception was not too good. Many of the shows now listed as "Old Time Radio" bring back memories. Some of the shows that I can remember listening to include: Jack Benny, Fibber McGee & Molly, Amos & Andy, the Aldrich Family, Gene Autry, the Cisco Kid, Gunsmoke and the Shadow. These included comedies, westerns and mysteries. Also we listened to quite a few sports: baseball, football and basketball. Baseball included the Portland Beavers and the Eugene Emeralds. Football and basketball were mostly for Oregon State College Beavers.


R is for Rodeo

                                   Photo by Daniel Lloyd Blunk-Fernández on Unsplash

    I can remember attending at least three different rodeos. We went to the Crawfordsville Rodeo. Crawfordsville was about 15 miles from where we lived. I don't have a good memory of the rodeo itself except that my Dad took movies of it and I can remember looking at them and now have the DVD so I can watch a part of the rodeo. In my grade school scrapbook I found programs for 2 rodeos that we had attended in 1952. On the 4th of July we attended the Molalla Buckeroo. Molalla was about 70 miles from home. With the programs were our tickets which showed that our seats were in section A, Row 13, seats 5-8. I enjoyed reading the program which gave information about each one of the different events. For some of the timed events I kept track of the different times and wrote them in the program. We also attended the "World Championship Rodeo" held at the State Fair in Salem in 1952. Again I kept track of the times for some of the timed events and wrote them in the program.


No comments:

Post a Comment