GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Ancestor Birthday - May 24th - Rachel Jordan 1703-1768

Today's ancestor birthday is my 6th great-grandmother, Rachel Jordan, who was born 70 years before my ancestor from yesterday. Because she was born before the calendar change in 1752 her Quaker record would show that she was born the 24th day of the 3rd month of 1703.

Rachel became one of my northeastern North Carolina Quaker ancestors, but she was born in Virginia, the daughter of Joshua and Elizabeth (Sanbourne) Jordan. It was in Isle of Wight County Virginia on 3 Sep 1719 when she married Thomas White.

I really liked how the Quaker record shows that she promised "to be to him a true and loving wife until death." I hope she kept her promise since they were married for over 40 years until Thomas died in 1761 and Rachel died 16 Jun 1768.

From deed records it is probable that the family moved from Virginia to Perquimans County North Carolina by 1724. Their 13 children are listed in the Quaker records there, born between 1720 and 1744. My ancestor, Sarah White, was the next to the youngest and she married Nicholas Nicholson in 1762 so Rachel was still alive and probably attended their wedding.

You may recognize the name Nicholson from my post yesterday. Miriam Bell's mother was Miriam Nicholson and Miriam and Nicholas were siblings. I find it fun to see how the families are connected.









No comments:

Post a Comment