GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Sunday, May 28, 2017

1000 Matches and Counting


1000

Almost 2 weeks ago, 15 May 2017, I wrote about my DNA circles on Ancestry.com. I noted that I had over 950 matches of 4th cousins or closer. As of 2 days ago, 26 May 2017, I had 1000 matches and right now on 28 May 2017 I have 1006. So it seems new matches are being added every day.

Some of these are people that I already know are related to me. However, many of them are not. And most of them don't have their DNA results linked to a family tree so I can't be sure just how we are related.

Ancestry does give another number which they call "shared ancestor hints." Yesterday I decided to check how many of that number were part of the 4th cousin or closer group. The number given by Ancestry was 153. So I just looked at that group and found that 2 were marked as 2nd cousin, 6 were marked as 3rd cousin and 36 were marked as 4th cousin. That totals 44. Of those 44, 5 had private trees so I wasn't able to check our relationship, leaving 39 matches. So 39 out of 1000 would be 3.9%. That's not a very large percentage, still that gives me 39 cousins where I should compare and share information. As I wrote on the 15th, I need to get busy and send some messages.




No comments:

Post a Comment