GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks – 2 – Anna Rosina Leu

As I wrote last week (3 Jan 2018), today I am giving my conclusions or speculations about Anna Rosina Leu, my 2nd gt-grandmother who was the mother of Anna Louise Boehm. I might call Anna Rosina a mystery ancestor. I do know her name, but I have not yet discovered her identity. Anna Rosina never came to America so it has been more difficult for me to research her. I did found a record of her in the German Lutheran church records for Nakel in Posen Province where she was listed in 1832 as the mother of Anna Louise. Last week I noted that the father shown was Michael Boehm and he and Anna Rosina were “still not married.” Anna Louise was born 30 Aug 1832 and I believe the record says she was baptized a little over a week later on 8 Sep.

On Anna Louise's marriage record at Nakel in 1850, she was shown as the illegitimate daughter of Anna Rosina Leu of Polichno. Anna Louise was of Josephkowo. If you check the map on the post about Michael Boehm you will see that Polichno Hauland and Josephkowo almost adjoin each other.

When I checked the Poznan Project, which is a listing of marriages in the Province of Posen, I found there were 2 marriages at the Protestant Church in Nakel for women named Anna Rosina Leu. In Nov 1832, a few months after Anna Louise was born, there was a 46 year old widow, maiden name Hein. She was the widow of Mathias Leu. Her new husband, Michael Fratzke, was of Polichno. The other Anna Rosina was married in 1838 to Johann Mueller, when she was age 26, the daughter of Mathias Leu. So these were mother and daughter. There was also a marriage in 1806 for a woman indexed as Johanna Rosina Lech. There are some other researchers who have identified her as a Anna Rosina Leu also. This marriage was to a Martin Giese. They had a son named Johann Giese who married Anna Charlotte Boehm, the daughter of Michael Boehm, Anna Louise's father. So there are at least 3 possible candidates to be my 2nd gt-grandmother.

There is a burial record at Nakel in 1841 for Rosina Giese, maiden name Leu, age 56 of Josephkowo. On a part of the record I haven't yet deciphered it does mention the name Martin Giese, so I suspect this was the mother-in-law of Anna Charlotte Boehm, my number 3 candidate. I tried checking the birth records at Nakel after 1838 to see if the Mueller couple showed there. I didn't find any and noticed that the marriage record showed that Johann was from Gorzyn, which appears to be in a different kreis about 90 miles from Nakel. So if they lived there, would the 1850 record still say that Anna Rosina was from Polichno? Also if all these women were married by 1850 would the record still use the name Anna Rosina Leu?

But what about that DNA match? If they were related to Anna Rosina as well as Michael, wouldn't the amount of DNA show a difference. I checked that and a 3rd cousin once removed and a ½ 3rd cousin once removed have very similar amounts of DNA and my match would fit in either one.

So if any of you have ideas about what I should try next, please contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment