GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Thursday, July 7, 2022

Identity – Childhood Memories Alphabet – B

B is for Baseball

    When my brother was old enough (he was three years younger than me) we would play catch with a baseball or a softball. Then sometimes we would take turns pitching and trying to hit the ball with a bat. Occasionally our father would join the game.

    We didn't have television until I was in high school, but we did have a radio. I can remember many summer nights listening to the baseball games played by the Portland Beavers. Somehow I learned the rules of the games so could understand what was going on. One day one summer our family took a one-time excursion and traveled to Portland and attended a Portland Beavers game. We got to see the actual players that we had been hearing about for so long. It was so exciting. Since the game was at night we stayed overnight in Portland at a hotel. The first time I ever stayed in a hotel. I really can't remember what the room was like, but know that it was something special for me.

    I also have memories of listening to the baseball games played by the Eugene Emeralds. Since it was quite a lot closer we did attend a few more of their games.



B is for Bicycle

    My first bicycle was a used one that my father obtained from a neighbor. It was a standard size boy's bicycle. I learned to ride in our large front drive, slightly graveled, not paved. I don't remember how old I was, maybe I could look at the old home movies and figure it out. It wasn't too long before I got a new bike, girls style, and my brother got the old one. We would play cowboys using our bikes, pretending they were horses. Sometimes I would just ride by myself using the time for thinking or making up stories. We never rode very far from home but mostly rode around on the farm. We had a few very small hills to ride up and down.

No comments:

Post a Comment