GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Tuesday, April 5, 2022

Branching Out – Connections to Cottage Grove – Part 6 + Females


During the month of February I wrote about Connections to Cottage Grove. The March theme was Females. However I still have some connections I want to write about, but since they involve females I can do a two in one, even if it is already April.

Today there are two females who researched their family histories, donated copies to the Cottage Grove Genealogical Society and so allowed me to discover how we were related.

The library at Cottage Grove Genealogical Society in 2011

First is Susie (Woodard) Carlile Wood. When I looked at her information I was delighted to find a common ancestor a number of generations ago. She and I are 7th cousins, 4 times removed. Our common ancestral couple is Richard Kimball and Ursula Scott. They were married in England and came to the new world in 1634.

Susie was a member of the same church where I was a member and once I was invited to her home on 4th Street. She had asked me to come and play the piano for her and then she showed me many of the lovely antiques and art works at her house.

Susie’s younger sister Juliet (Woodard) Hull also was a fellow church member. I didn’t know her all that well, but I did know her son and grandchildren. After I found the Woodard relationship I was able to tell them that we were distantly related.

Second: Because some of my heritage goes back to colonial New England ancestors there are many, many descendants of those same individuals. At least one of these descendants was a member of the Genealogical Society so I had a distant cousin with whom I shared an ancestor and so could share information.

She was Elizabeth (Preston) Baty. Near the end of 1990 Elizabeth submitted her ancestor table (similar to a pedigree chart) to the society and it was published in the periodical, Trees From the Grove, in 1993. She had self-published a book about her Cross line with allied and collateral lines in 1992 and a copy was donated to the Society’s library. In both cases she showed how she was related to Maximillian Jewett who immigrated from England to Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1638. He was my ancestor too. In checking her line and mine I found that we were 10th cousins.

I am related to Maximillian Jewett through Lydia Jewett, who was my 3rd great-grandmother. Her 3rd great-grandmother was Abigail Kimball. Abigail was the granddaughter of Richard and Ursula. So these two females in my ancestry helped me be connected to Cottage Grove.





No comments:

Post a Comment