GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Monday, February 14, 2022

Branching Out – Connections to Cottage Grove – Part 4

During February 2022 I have been following the monthly theme of Branching Out from 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks by Amy Johnson Crow.

On 9 Feb 2022, I returned home from my 5th tri-weekly chemotherapy treatment and checked the email from Ancestry.com about hints for my family tree. One of the hints was about Frank Bond, the son of my gt-granduncle, Austin Bond. So I began following these hints. The email hint was for the 1940 census. Those living in his household at that time were: his wife Madge and 3 of his children Melvin, Lloyd and Norma. They were living in Rowland Precinct, Linn County, Oregon, the same location where Dale and Delma Drinkard lived. I posted on 10 Feb how Dale was connected to Cottage Grove.

Then I thought as I read more of the hints, how appropriate. A newspaper article showed that Norma married William Bruce Telford in Eugene, Lane County on 14 Feb 1948. She was working as a telephone operator in Eugene and William had been working in Junction City, Oregon for Chevrolet in the parts department.

Why was that article appropriate. It noted their new home would be 1216 South 6th St., Cottage Grove, Oregon. In the 1945 Eugene City Directory, living at 1200 South 6th St, were Harry Skelton and his first wife Mary Jane. After Mary Jane died in 1963, I became Harry’s wife in the 1970s and we first lived at that house. However by 1948 Harry and Mary Jane had moved to another location in the Cottage Grove area and he did not move back there until after Mary Jane’s death, so were not really neighbors of the Telford family, except that both lived in the Cottage Grove area.

I feel bad that I did not begin my genealogical researching until after Norma, my 2nd cousin once removed, had died. Then I never took the time to contact William before his death. But there was definitely a Cottage Grove connection with these relatives of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment