GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Monday, April 25, 2011

Dummer Jewett's Birthday

I decided to begin a blog today because my genealogy program calendar showed that today was Dummer Jewett's birthday back in 1732. However as I thought about it I remembered that this was before the calendar change in 1752, so I'm not sure what date Dummer would have considered his birthday after he graduated from Harvard College in 1752.  He was the grandson of my 7th great-grandfather, Jonathan Jewett, and the son of Jedediah Jewett and his wife Elizabeth Dummer. So you can guess where his first name came from. These relationships make Dummer my 1st cousin 7 times removed.

I find Dummer interesting due to his name. Reading more about him in the Jewett Family History published in the early 1900's, I discovered that after he married Mary Staniford in 1754 he settled in the town of Ipswich where he was a lawyer and merchant. He was a representative to the General Court of Massachusetts in 1776 and 1780

No comments:

Post a Comment