GeneaBloggersTRIBE

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

They Emigrated in 1858


It was in 1858 when my gt-grandparents, Ludwig and Anna Louisa Falk, left their home in Posen in Prussia and came to the United States to settle in Wisconsin. Ludwig had 3 children from his 1st marriage and together they had 2 children who came with them for a grand total of 7 who left Bremen on the bark Wieland and arrived at Baltimore on 22 Jun 1858.

Sometimes I wonder why they chose to come at that time. I don't have any family stories since all of the immigrants had died before I was born and I was still very young when my grandfather who was the youngest of the children born in Wisconsin died.

I was reading in a book about researching German ancestors, German Maps & Facts for Genealogy, by Wendy K. Uncapher and Linda M. Herrick. On pages 18-19 they included a section titled, “Events that Affected Migration.” I thought that these following might have been some that affected my family.
  • 1842 – Prussian law passed guaranteed freedom of emigration.
  • 1846-47 – Societies were started and newspapers devoted to emigration were published and circulated.
  • 1849 – Bremen built emigrant housing to improve conditions.
  • 1850-60 – Expanded railroad lines made transportation possible to Hamburg and Bremen.
  • 1857 – Depression

It probably was a combination of a number of factors and I'll probably never know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment